Friday, July 21, 2006

Digital Storytelling Again

I'm finally getting around to posting one of the Astronomy Presentations from my students. He did the Andromeda Galaxy. I decided to host it on ourmedia.org. Ourmedia is really slow, but it does offer free hosting of video and audio files (and images and text for that matter). I've had lots of trouble using Firefox and had assumed the site just didn't work well, until I tried it in Internet Explorer.

Ourmedia relies on ActiveX. If you don't know what that means, that's OK. Try your browser of choice, if it doesn't work, well then just jump over to Internet Explorer and it will work (but it is slow). Ourmedia offers much higher resolution and detail than YouTube or Eyespot. Here's the Fireworks video I did on those sites previously. It looks much better (as you might expect for a 10MB video file).

The other factor worth mentioning is that you will also need a login and password for The Internet Archive. Once you've set up your account at Ourmedia you will need to go to the edit tab on your "my page". Scroll down a little and you will see a place to enter your archive.org password (note this is just below where you can change your Ourmedia password).

Another site I just found out about from Eduwikipedia about digital storytelling has some potential. The site is RockYou. It allows you to put together slideshows of digital pictures. It's really easy to use. It took me less then five minutes from first visiting the site to creating the slideshow you see below. The biggest downside is it does not allow for narration or music. However, you can easily add text to your slides.


RockYou slideshow | View | Add Favorite

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: