Thursday, November 06, 2014

Getting Started with 3D Printing - Jazz Hands

In my last post I walked you through creating a relatively simple cell phone holder in Tinkercad. In this one I want to show you how easy it is to modify an existing design. You can do this with your own models or you can do this with ones you find online in places like the Thingiverse.

We're going to add a design to our phone case we made in the last post by importing an image in svg format. svg files can be imported, resized and extruded into 3D objects. I'm going to use a public domain image from Pixaby. I like Pixaby because all the images are public domain. They do have svg files available for download, however, I haven't had any luck importing their svg files into Tinkercad. Instead I find an image (png or jpg) I like and convert it using the Online SVG Image Converter. You'll want an image that is only black and white (literally black and white, not greyscale). If your image has any grays they will be treated as black when imported into Tinkercad. The image I chose has some grays, but I think it will look fine as black and white.

Basically you just import your svg file, resize it to fit, and the position it where you want it to go. You can either do this as a raised pattern or turn it into a hole and use it as a recessed pattern. You can find full directions in the Google Presentation below.



Go Back to earlier parts in the series: Part 1Part 3 or go on to Part 5

2 comments:

Andy Rundquist said...

Another great addition to the resources you're providing us all! After last night (when you gave such a great presentation in the Global Physics Department) I've decided that I need to get on this 3D printing train. The projects you've talked about and shared here have really inspired me!

My question for you: What's the best balance between having students think up designs and having them hunt for cool ideas online? #NaBloCoMo

Tanzir Rahman said...

Very nice printing theories...
Vector line art